Caramelized Onion and Cream Cheese Chicken Enchilidas
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped (fresh is SO much better in this recipe)
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and diced or shredded
- 8 oz block cream cheese, softened
- 10 oz can rotel or Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies, drained (mild or original)
- (8) 8 inch tortillas
- 8 oz block of Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups heavy cream
- fresh chopped cilantro
In a medium saute pan, add the butter, sliced onion, and sugar. Saute over medium/low heat for 20 minutes stirring often until light brown in color. After the onions are light brown, add the chopped garlic to the onions and continue stirring the mixture for 2 minutes, to keep the garlic from burning. Add the cooked chicken, rotel, and cream cheese to the pan with the onions. Continue cooking over medium low heat, stirring constantly until combined.
Divide the filling into 8 portions and wrap inside the tortillas. Put the tortillas side by side in a pam sprayed 13x9 pan. It will be a tight fit. Sprinkle the top with the shredded Monterey Jack Cheese and pour the cream over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. You can broil the top for a minute or 2 at the end, but watch closely! #TrustMe Let the enchiladas rest for 5 minutes before serving. Top with cilantro and enjoy! YUMMMMMMM!!!!!!